Sadly, the audio file for this episode was lost during a transfer. We’ll get Madeline back on the podcast at some point to offer her wisdom again!
Summary: Hosts Sara, Jessica, & Michelle talk about Italy and the 2010 World Cup and Rome’s first modern art museum. Then we speak with Madeline Jhawar, an Italy travel consultant, about some of the varied jobs she has had in the country – along with her tips for the best biking and hiking in Italy.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Italy in World Cup [First Italy game on June 14th vs. Paraguay; complete World Cup schedule]
- Traditional Rome changes course with first modern art museum
Madeline Jhawar lived in Italy for a total of 5 years at different points in her life, and remains an Italophile to this day. She’s a Canadian living in Chicago who writes a travel blog and creates custom trips for Italy. [@MadelineJ on Twitter; Madeline’s Italy Photo Contest on Facebook]
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- Creative Italian ways to remind someone to close the door:
- Hai la coda? = Do you have a tail?
- Abiti al Colosseo? = Do you live in the Colosseum?
- An English equivalent: Were you born in a barn?
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: 10 Mistakes Tourists make when visiting Italy, Postful.com for sending snail mail from the Internet when you’re on the go, and Postcrossing.com for sending a postcard and receiving them from others!
- Jessica: World Cup Blog, Beginners Guide to the World Cup, 2010 Italy “hot soccer player” team photos
- Michelle: Great early summer recipe of Cannellini Beans & Chicory
- Madeline: Autogrill & the Autogrill Cookbook [Madeline was unable to find all of the Autogrill cookbooks for sale online, aside from this site selling one of the books. She says they were released in Spring 2009, and may have been offered for only a limited time, but if you’re in Italy and at an Autogrill restaurant it can’t hurt to look since that’s where they were sold. The 4-book series is called “La Primavera in Tavola,” or “Spring at the Table.”]
- Deal of the Week:
Video of the week :
Bruno Bozzetto : Italy vs. Europe – an oldie, but a goodie.