Hosts Sara, Jessica and Michelle talk about a pink Hitler provoking fury, saving abandoned towns in Italy by renting to tourists, organized religion, women and the law, and we speak with certified art historian, food expert and sommelier Katie Parla about Rome, its food and its ancient underbelly.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Pink Hitler posters provoke fury
- Ryan Air will appeal ash fine
- Saving Towns by Filling Rooms in Italy
- First woman priest in Italy
- Italy busts cocaine trafficking ring in nunnery
Katie Parla @katieparla is a certified art historian, food expert, and sommelier. She has lived and worked in Italy since 2003 as a freelance writer, providing content for guidebooks, and contributing to a variety of publications including The New York Times. She also blogs daily about food on ParlaFood.com.
- Roma Sotterranea [where Katie became a “certified archaeological spelunker”]
- Zetema.it [organization running cultural events on behalf of the city of Rome, including the Roma Nascosta, or Hidden Rome, week]
- Roma Nascosta 2010 [from May 28 through June 6]
- 060608.it [site to visit to find out more about archaeological sites you can visit during Roma Nascosta week; +39 060608 is the number to call for many of the bookings, & operators do speak English]
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- Italian food idioms (from Vanessa @ItalyinSF)
- Jessica’s favorite – “É buono come un pezzo di pane” [buona for women]
- Michelle’s favorite – “Sono piena come un uovo” [pieno for men]
- Sara’s favorite – “Sono rossa come un peperone” [rosso for men]
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: A Taste of Italy by Mondadori and (new) ebooks section on IBS.it
- Jessica: Groupon Europe: Groupon buying CityDeal, which covers several European countries – including Italy
- Michelle: DITALIA’s How to Grill Italian Meats. DITALIA is a online retailer and wholesale distributor of imported and Italian inspired specialty foods; Cucina in Calabria by Mary Amabile Palmer book giveaway at She Who Blogs (plus interview with me) until May 29.
- Deal of the Week:
- 7-night Tuscany trip: includes round-trip airfare (quoted price is from Atlanta, other cities available); hotel stays in Lucca, Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena, and Florence; rental car for 6 days; hotel taxes and fuel surcharges – from $1444 per person, based on double occupancy, mid-September dates
- See the WhyGo Italy travel deals page for more available deals
Video of the week :
- Nike’s “Write the Future” World Cup ad
Bobby Solo starring as the Italian crooner.