Hosts Sara, Jessica and Michelle talk about pizza in Naples cooked in ovens burning used coffin wood, mafia-run produce markets, and then special guest author and chef David Lebovitz joins us to talk about gelato.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Police: Italy mafias run produce markets – 67 Italian mob suspects arrested in market ring
- Pizza in Naples could be baked using coffin wood
- Firenze Gelato Festival May 28-31
Our guest is David Lebovitz (@DavidLebovitz ), an American chef, author and blogger living in Paris. David worked at Chez Panisse for more than 13 years as a pastry chef, he was one of the first and remains one of the most popular food bloggers on the Internet, and has published six cookbooks including his latest, Ready for Dessert, which we touch on in the podcast. Learn about his gelato tour he’s leading in Rome, how to taste gelato and about his love affair with gelato.
- David Lebovitz’s site
- David’s books
- From David’s blog: How to make ice cream without a machine
- Chefs lead new Rome walking tours [NYT – Context Savouring Rome]
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
Cono e coppa / coppetta?
- How to Order Gelato in Italy at WhyGo Italy
- The Inside Scoop on Rome’s Gelato, by Katie Parla on Budget Travel
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: This Week in Travel podcast, the TWIT.tv network; Fontanelle – a map of the drinking water fountains in Milan (400+ of them)
- Jessica: Be adventurous with your gelato flavors! Italian Gelato Flavors Decoded from WhyGo Italy
- Michelle: Tour del Gelato from Ms Adventures in Italy; sample some of the best gelato around Italy and also in the US, Madrid, Paris, and Buenos Aires
- Deal of the Week:
- Video of the week :
- Milano Rocks: American Football (& cheerleaders in Italy)