Hosts Sara, Jessica, and Michelle talk about the latest in Berlusconi’s legal battles as well as Italy’s role in the ongoing Libyan conflict. Then we’ll talk to Mary Jane Cryan, art historian and long-time resident of Italy, about Etruria and Etruscan culture.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Bunga Bunga Trial to Begin on April 6 — Without Television Cameras; Tax Fraud Hearing Continues; Facebook group Birrozzo e popcorn mentre si segue il processo a Berlusconi (H/t listener Anne in Maine)
- Italy backs Libya rebels; dismisses Gaddafi message
Mary Jane Cryan is an American-Irish writer and historian who has been living in Italy since 1965. An educator and administrator at international schools in Rome, Genoa and Moscow, she also directed Elderhostel’s Rome program, and set up and taught for numerous study abroad programs, tour operators and adult learners. Her byline appears in scholarly journals, guidebooks, and print and online magazines. She is the author of several books, including Eturia – travel, history and itineraries in central Italy, as well as the website Elegant Etruria, blog 50 Years in Italy, and Facebook group Elegant Etruria Friends.
- B.I.R.G. (Biglietto Integrato Regionale Giornaliero) ticket for day trips in the area, including trains, buses, & metro – €9 for 5 zones (including Rome & Civitavecchia).
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- Non basta una vita.
- A lifetime is not enough (to explore Rome, for instance).
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: Venice Backstage via Metafilter [Thanks also to Jill in Venice for sending this to Michelle]
- Jessica: Funniest soccer warmup ever
- Michelle: Museo Nazionale Etrusco di Villa Giulia [Galleria fotografica]
- Deal of the Week:
- 4-star Venice hotel near La Fenice opera house from $180/night between April 18 and May 11
- See the WhyGo Italy travel deals page for the latest travel deals
Video of the week:
- How does Venice work?