This week, hosts Sara, Jessica & Michelle have a few news updates from previous episodes – and then we chat with special guest Mark Leslie, author of the new book “Beyond the Pasta,” about his experiences in Italy learning the language and the cuisine from one special Italian family.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Yet another Pompeii collapse (occurred during a UNESCO site visit)
- Berlusconi no confidence vote 14 December: What Happens Next Q & A; No confidence in Berlusconi online petition
Mark Leslie is a self-proclaimed “foodie” who loves to cook for anyone with an appetite and works across the country in professional theatre as a stage manager. Every year he vacations in Italy and lives to eat his way through every plate of pasta and cone of gelato placed before him; he shares those Italian experiences on his popular blog at www.beyondthepasta.com. A Chicago-area native and “Yankee” by birth, Mark has lived in Alabama for over 23 years, and celebrates the fact that he started life eating farina, progressed to grits, and finally arrived at polenta. Buonissima!
Mark provided us with a copy of “Beyond the Pasta” to give away to one lucky Eye On Italy listener – leave a comment on this post to be entered to win. [US mailing addresses only]
- both cuisine and kitchen – la cucina italiana is Italian cuisine.
Thanks Amy for the addition to last week’s angolo d’italiano!
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: How to find great restaurants with Gambero Rosso online (@MadelineJ)
- Jessica: Marling Menu Master for Italy [since my favorite menu/food book for Italy is no longer in print], among many of my favorite Italy gift ideas
- Michelle: Italy in Books challenge; AmaMi card for Milan: 48 hours to fall in love with Milan.
- Deal of the Week:
- Sara Musella has 75,000 FB Fans…she’s 8.
- Fabri Fibra is a signed Italian rap recording artist with 7 albums and 355,000 fans.