Summary: Hosts Sara, Michelle and Jessica talk about why celebs love Italy in the summer, the moka pot becoming the next Italian coffee tradition in the US, the new MonopolyItalia board and speaking with special guest Christine Cantera about Rome day trips, the best Roman rooftop hotel bars and more.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Celebrity spottings in Italy: Clooney in Milan for a fraud trial, The Office’s John Krasinzky marries Emily Blunt in Villa d’Este on Lake Como, Denzel Washington in Portofino
- Will the Moka pot become America’s next coffee tradition?
- Milanese Honor at Stake on new MonopolyItalia board
Christine Cantera is a freelance writer who lives full-time in Europe, splitting her year between Montpellier (in southern France) and Rome. She’s known to many as Miss Expatria, and recently started writing BootsnAll’s France Travel Guide and Travel News Daily sites, in addition to maintaining her own blog, Miss Expatria. You can find her on Twitter as @MissExpatria, @WhyGoFrance, & @TravelNewsDaily.
- Day Trips from Rome & Favorite Rooftop Bars in Rome
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- Calabria: Home of the Paparazzi at Bleeding Espresso
- “Fa caldo!” – It’s hot!
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: My Own Private Milano a short ebook of photos of Milan taken by non-Milanesi and Milanesi that put words to the image of their city (in Italian), Beatriz Macias & her custom painted Moka art on Etsy
- Michelle: Cafè Orzo: caffeine-free roasted barley coffee alternative; giveaway on Bleeding Espresso and at Bleeding Espresso on Facebook
- Jessica: iPhone app: SmarthistoryTravel: Rome, a First Look [included in my Rome iPhone Apps article]
- Christine: Basilica: The Splendor & the Scandal: Building St. Peter’s – by R. A. Scotti
- Deal of the Week:
- Newark-Venice in November starting at $707 round-trip
- See the WhyGo Italy travel deals page for the latest travel deals
Video of the week:
- Video bonanza from the 1968 Sanremo music festival:
- Stevie Wonder, Sanremo 1969: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YKlxp2qIck
- More from the 1968 Sanremo festival
- Dionne Warwick, Sanremo 1968: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZODWwIn0cDY
- Shirley Bassey, Sanremo 1968: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogg5pl6Q518
- Eartha Kitt, Sanremo 1968: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7nkXUD1PBk
- Louis Armstrong, Sanremo 1968: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgHu2BfLp6g
- from Christine: Louis Armstrong BUTCHERING italian, so full of win and lulz
- Wilson Pickett, Sanremo 1968: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlfF3GkJsNQ
- from Christine: he eventually goes into english, but the intro to this song makes me wish my name was deborah. jesus christ. so hot.