Summary: Hosts Sara, Michelle and Jessica talk about fake Murano glass, the anti-ageing super-tomato, and speak with writer David Farley about his book, “An Irreverent Curiosity” about the quest for Jesus Christ’s foreskin in southern Italy.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Italian police seize 11 million fake Murano glass objects
- Italians unveil anti-ageing ‘super tomato’
David Farley, @DavidFarley on Twitter, is a food & travel writer whose work has appeared in places like the New York Times, The Washington Post, The Boston Globe, The Chicago Tribune, Conde Nast Traveler Magazine, Arthur Frommer’s Budget Travel, & National Geographic Traveler (among many other places). He teaches writing at NYU and is a champion of and cheerleader for up-and-coming travel writers with the Restless Legs Reading Series he founded in New York. We’ve invited him onto Eye On Italy to discuss the book he wrote, “An Irreverent Curiosity: In Search of the Church’s Strangest Relic in Italy’s Oddest Town,” which just came out in paperback.
- David Farley’s site [including information about “An Irreverent Curiosity“]
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- colanzo – colazione + pranzo similar to the concept of brunch
- prepuzio (foreskin) – you probably won’t have many opportunities to use this in a sentence!
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: Slow Travel for Women – Travel agency for women by two expats in Lombardia, [La Repubblica]; The Blonde Salad, a mega-popular fashion blog in English and Italian by Chiara Ferragni @ChiaraFerragni
- Michelle: Capuchin Catacombs in Palermo
- Jessica: The difference between ice cream & gelato (from a gelateria in Seattle)
- Farley: Il Giardino dei Tarocchi; in Tuscany – mosaic garden – http://nikidesaintphalle.com/
- Deal of the Week:
- 9-night trip through Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) including round-trip airfare, all hotel nights, rail transfers between cities, hotel taxes, & continental breakfast: from $1149 in September, $1399 in October, $1049 in November
- See the WhyGo Italy travel deals page for the latest travel deals
Video of the week:
- Wedding March in Italy set to the Waka Waka song by Shakira in Torregrotta – Messina. Auguri Anna e Tommaso! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKyYzsmQ-GU&feature=popular
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
I am now on a mission to try and fit the word prepuzio in a casual conversation somewhere.
Let us know if you find one!! ha.