On this week’s podcast, hosts Sara, Jessica and Michelle talk about the possible death of Nutella, blue mozzarella, and we exchange gifts of tin to mark our 10th episode of the podcast. Then we’ll move on to our interview with Candace Dempsey, the Italian-American author of a new book on the Amanda Knox trial called Murder in Italy.
Eye on Italy News Stories:
- Nutella at risk [Italy Magazine] Hands off Nutella campaign [Huffington Post]
- Italy raises alarm over blue mozzarella [more information on the story on AP, NY Daily News, & ANSA]
Candace Dempsey is an award-winning Italian American journalist and the author of MURDER IN ITALY, the true story of Amanda Knox, the American college student convicted of murdering her British roommate. She has discussed the Amanda Knox case on CNN Headline News, KOMO-TV, K13 TV and many other media outlets. Candace’s true crime blog is hosted by the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, has been featured on Anderson Cooper 360, and is read around the world.
You can find Candace at:
True crime blog: http://blog.seattlepi.com
Professional website: http://candacedempsey.com
Book tour: http://www.booktour.com/author/candace_dempsey
More resources on the Amanda Knox case:
- Perugia Shock, true crime blog; only blog written by a Perugino in English for an international audience.
- Prosecutors appeal Knox sentence, seek life terms [AP, CBS]
- Knox book to be released
- Murder in Italy
- Amanda Knox to give television interview [Telegraph]
- Amanda Knox in court over police beatings claims [BBC]
- Guede Denies Clearing Amanda Knox of Murder [CBS]
- Italian mobster claiming his brother killed Kercher [CNN]
Eye on Italy Angolo d’Italiano:
- Giallo: Literal meaning is “yellow,” but also term for crime fiction/mystery/thriller/whodunits that comes from the fact that cheap paperback crime books (like those of Agatha Cristie) used to come with yellow covers. It’s also used to describe real-life mysteries.
- “Murder, She Wrote” when it’s broadcast in Italy is called “La signora in giallo” which is literally “the woman in yellow” but in this case is “the woman in mystery.”
Eye on Italy Picks of the Week:
- Sara: World Nutella Day and World Nutella Day Facebook Fan Page
- Michelle: Eurochocolate: Annual chocolate festival in Perugia; October 15-24, 2010.
- Jessica: Concerts on top of the Milan Duomo – check with local tourism office to find out what special events are going on wherever you are — also, Jessica will be at the TBEX Travel Bloggers Exchange conference in New York this weekend
- Candace: Over a Tuscan Stove: Judy Witts, an American chef and culinary instructor married to an Italian man also featured in Murder in Italy.
- Deal of the Week:
- New York to Milan in December (including over Christmas & the New Year): $609 round-trip
- See the WhyGo Italy travel deals page for the latest travel deals
Video of the week:
Blue mozzarella video